Friday, February 17, 2012

The gDiapers are here!




I just got a big package of gDiaper stuff from diapers.com. Thanks Mom! I'm so excited that is is almost comical, but how can you not get excited about cute baby stuff?

I've thought about using cloth diapers or diaper hybrids (cloth with disposable inserts) since I was pregnant. I've gone back and forth because I love the idea of cloth diapers, but I don't know if I will love having to clean them. My diaper changing experience is extensive, since I work in a daycare, but all of my experience is with disposable diapers. I have had to clean some really horrible accidents when children were potty training and wearing underwear. Getting poop out of cloth just isn't a good time!

I really like the idea of the gDiapers biodegradable gRefills, but I don't like the price. It is currently $55 for a case of 4 packages of gRefills, which contains 128 refills in size medium/large. This comes out to about 43 cents per gRefill. I usually get Up & Up disposable diapers at Target, which are $20.99 for 108 size 5 diapers. This comes out to about 19 cents per diaper. So it costs more than twice as much just to get the gRefills as it does to get the Up & Up diapers. You would still have to buy the cloth diaper covers or gPants, which are $17.99 each or $79.99 for a 6 pack. If I had a ton of money to throw around I may have given these a try, but maybe not, just on principle.

So then I looked at the gDiapers gCloth inserts. I just couldn't get past the idea of cleaning poop off of those cloth inserts! This is what has kept me from trying these for so long. If only they made something that went over the cloth insert that would trap the poop and was disposable...oh they do?! They make gCloth liners, which are $8.99 for a box of 105. The liners trap the solids and liquids go into the cloth insert. When you change the diaper, you just dump the poopy liner into the toilet and flush it away. The cloth insert goes into the laundry. Easy? Not really, but I think I can handle this.

You have to wash the gCloth inserts 3 times before using them, so they are currently in the laundry. I plan on using the gDiapers all day, but disposable diapers at night. My son's diaper is always quite full in the morning, and I'm not sure if the cloth diapers would be able to handle it. I'm going to try the gDiapers tomorrow morning.  I've read that they can be difficult to learn how to use at first, so wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment