Friday, February 17, 2012

My Inspiration

I first read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle while I was in college, and it planted a seed in my mind that has since taken root and grown into my dream. 

Like many of the young women that attended UMF, I wanted to be a teacher. I also wanted to marry my high school sweetheart, and I did during student teaching (crazy I know). I got degree in Elementary Education and became a certified teacher. I taught 7th grade science for one year and decided that it was not what I wanted to do. 

I loved working with kids, but I didn't see how I could be a good wife, mother, and teacher. So I picked the two most important things to me, wife and mother. I became a mother in February 2011, and I have to say that it is even better than I could have imagined! But now what was I going to do? I would love to be able to just be a wife and mother, but unfortunately I need to make money :) So for now I'm running a home daycare with my mother-in-law. I get to stay home with my son, work with kids, and make money. 

I like what I'm doing now, but my dream is to have a small self-sustaining family farm. Just think...fresh eggs, milk, vegetables, fruit and meat, and homemade cheese! My husband is on board with this dream, thank goodness, and we are working toward making it a reality. 

I would love to just flip a switch and do it all, but it isn't practical for me, so here I go one step at a time.  



2 comments:

  1. Ky!! We have to talk more, your goals are our goals as a family, of the farm variety. Much love. Great Book. So many good ones. I'll be sharing more soon <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do Kerri! I'm looking forward to reading what you have to share. Any books that you highly recommend?

      Delete